Sunday, June 29, 2008

Big News Story- Live Cross to Budapest

So, umm, bit of a bombshell I guess, but I thought that Budapest was just too good of a chance to pass up the opportunity to propose to Jess. But it wasn't without its difficulties...

You wouldn't think it that hard to convince a young lady to put on something nice and head out for a semi-expensive meal in a beautiful town like Budapest, but well, I guess this is all part of the fun of being with such an amazing, if not argumentative person. So after a discussion about going out and then a disagreement over my intolerable hayfever (intolerable for her, not me), I persevered and after dinner we headed up to Castle Mountain, which looks majestically over the Danube and Pest (eastern side of city)- quite impressive at night!

Alas, this idea was not as original as I would have hoped, with many-a-young wanna-be Romeo taking their young Juliets up to the lookout across the city. My Australian ingenuity was one step ahead however, and as Jess wandered to take some snaps and I approached the heavily armed castle security to ask if I could have a couple of minutes on the other side of the velvet rope with a private view of the city lights... looking very nervous and with my hand in my bag.

The guard seemed very friendly and responded immediately to my approach, advising me to take my hand out of the bag before approaching any closer. Quickly realising that he probably didn't realise I was nervously clutching the engagement ring in the bag, I took out my hand (slowly- I've seen the movies) and put forward my request.

Anyway, the man had no sense of romance, and so I had to settle for a balcony at the top of the stairway. We were lucky enough to have a few minutes alone without the crowds, and that was enough for my future wife to answer yes to my question (and Terry, she loves the ring!)

Tough one to top, but stay tuned for the next installment in our adventures.

6 comments:

kate said...

CONGRATULATIONS!

Such wonderful news :)

I can see it now - the travelling, the matching beanies, the shared backpack... how romantic. aww. Have fun!

x kate

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS BOTH OF YOU!!! We are over the moon to hear the news. Had me in fits of laughter. Typical Jess. Jeremy take care of our precious baby. Keep up the romance, where better than summertime in Europe. Beautiful ring! Love you both xxxx M & D

MaureenDavis said...

Congratulation Jess and Jeremy. Welcome Jeremy to the McDougall clan. Very happy and excited for you both. Love to catch up with u while you are over there in Ireland. Heading off to Kuwait on the 27th Aug. Jess- not sure if u have Gran and Pops email- macdou@tadaust.org.au. I'm sure they would love to hear from u and see the photo. Love and wishes from Aunty Mause, Justin and Beck

Fairskin said...

Congratulations guys! You certainly are a smooth mover Jeremy White! Enjoy your travelling together and can’t wait to catch up with you guys soon. Ps – you know where to find me if it doesn’t work out Jess…hehe. Seriously I couldn’t imagine a more perfect couple. I’m very excited and happy for you both!

Hugs and kisses, Fairk

Anonymous said...

Jezz and Jess

Sensational guys, as Fairskin put it in the work group emails 'always thought it would be you first Leggas'! Great suprise Jezza - you dog.

Anyway, congratulations, enjoy the adventure and keep updating us!

Soup,

Rossy and Lise

Hodi Jnrs said...

Ah! Cupit has hit the travelling couple. What a memorable way to 'pop the QUESTION' onyo Jezz !!! May you be blessed with eternal happiness and love for each other. We look forward to the expansion of the Hodi Clan as well - so may you 'pairing' be blessed with lots of "little angels" in the future. Bravo to you both for this commitment to each other.
The Hodi Clan FNQ